Search This Blog

Monday 14 April 2014

Singer Stylist 437

Just a week ago I got a new machine at work.  For some reason it comes with an instruction manual for a Singer 427 but it is actually a Stylist 437.  It is actually rather a nice machine in a pleasing tan colour and comes with a cover, which is always nice!


 I have to say though, once I started taking it apart I decided I didn't want one, which is nice!  It is a belt drive connecting top and bottom and has two sets of plastic gears.  Amazingly both sets of gears look all right, for now at least, but they are just an accident waiting to happen.  We replaced a plastic gear on one of our machines once, cost us $20, almost more than the machine was worth and the machine never felt the same afterwards.  Below are pictures of the gears.



One thing I do like about this era of Singer machines is the hook area.  They are rather easy to take apart and oil.  This one had some minor fur-balls and needed a good oiling, it was slightly seized when I first started on it.

 There is very little under the top cover, apart from the blindstitch cam anyway.  It is also a free-arm machine and still has the flat-bed with it.  No accessories though.


 It does, however, have one of those dangerous pedals on it so I could yet not be selling it.

On Wednesday I got another machine in.  This one is a Globe overlocker.  I am not the world's greatest fan of overlockers, the only thing they seem to do remarkably well is not cooperate!  Unfortunately this one has the wrong pedal and I don't have one that will plug into it, so it looks like it is in for a long stay!


 And finally, a machine I sold recently was a very brightly coloured Brother.  I would definitely not like to own one of these but I love the bright red!


I do have some pictures lined up to post here and an Elna as well.

11 comments:

  1. Can you tell me where you bought those gears for singer 437?
    or the name of them, for websearch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought a gear for a different model, a Singer Supreme Stylist 534. I cannot remember what they are called but I think bobbin gears, for the black ones above, and feed gears, for the orange ones above, is approximately correct. We purchased from a sewing machine parts shop, one of the few remaining. Each gear would have a part number etched into it. Searching that may be more successful. Good luck with getting some!

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I'm keen to buy the 427 Manual from you if you're keen to sell it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy,
      I won't sell you the hard copy of the manual but if you would like to send an email to my email address (listed at the top of the page) I will happily send you a pdf version if that helps.
      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Hello Ceinwen I know its a while ago you posted this but I would be delighted to get that PDF as well. Will make my wife happy. Ill send u an email as well. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. A 437 is basically a few arm 427.

    Nylon gears well last a lifetime as long as they are NEVER oiled or lubricated. The petroleum in those products break down nylon. I have many machines with nuking gears that are used extensively and don't break. Nylon is actually superior tho metal because you don't need to oil it. Singer started using them because consumers are terrible with maintaining their machines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I also seem to have lost the manuals for my mum's 437. Do you still have a PDF you could send?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello - just wondering why the singer foot pedal is ‘ dangerous’?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you happen to have a service manual for a 226 Singer (made in Japan?

    ReplyDelete