Search This Blog

Monday 9 March 2015

Singer 320K Machine

I have acquired rather a number of machines over the past few weeks, it does not matter how hard I try, I always find more to buy!  One of these machines is the Singer 320K, a free arm version of the Singer 319K (which I also own).  Getting this one was an incredible stroke of luck as the vendor told me it was already sold, before contacting me a week later to say I could have it.  For $25 complete with instruction manual, all cams, all throat plates and various feet, I was extremely happy!  Today I got around to looking at it.  It was very dirty, particularly on the outside and had some damage, mainly from misuse.

The wooden base forms the flat bed.  This is before cleaning.
The bobbin area was very felted and I took the whole hook assembly apart.  When I re-assembled it I retimed the hook for a standard needle, thus doing two jobs at once.

Bobbin area before cleaning

Bobbin assembly dismantled before cleaning

The cleaned bobbin area and feed dogs reassembled
The outside of the machine was stained with lots of old oil.  I have found methylated spirits to be very good for cleaning machines, so long as you check you are not removing the colour as well.

Cam selection keys, before cleaning

Zigzag arm, before cleaning

The back of the machine after I took the motor off, before cleaning.

The zigzag arm and back of the machine arm after cleaning.
Under the faceplate was not too bad, the worst bit was oiling everything with my wayward spray lubricant.  I was getting more oil in my face than the machine was.


I always remove the needle, foot and bobbin/bobbin case before I begin to clean any machine.  Consequently they are the last items I clean and replace on the machine.  When I cam to clean this machines bobbin case I was horrified by the number of needle strikes on it.  It has at some time been incorrectly positioned and the needle has struck the case about fifty times.  As a result the case was misshapen and starting to fracture.  We carefully beat it back into shape and filed the sharp edges off and it seems to work okay.

Bobbin case showing the needle strikes
The pedal innards also required some work, as they had at some stage been assembled incorrectly.  However when I got this machine up and stitching I was very pleased!  It is very quiet, other than the clacking of the throat plate (I must see if I can quieten that down a bit as it is rather irritating) and put up with been run at top speed backwards and forwards without skipping a single stitch.  No mean feat for one of these machines, which tend to be super sensitive.

Lovely and clean, showing fee arm

Clean back of the machine.
All in all, not a bad days work and a very worthwhile $25 I think!

17 comments:

  1. Hi there... have you used it? I have one and I love the way it looks but cant get my head around it. Trying to see if there is a way to drop the feed dog to do free embroidery... do you know?? any advice would be great thanx! tiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tick notify me... oops - maybe answer to this comment.. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to tick notify me... oops - maybe answer to this comment.. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there... have you used it? I have one and I love the way it looks but cant get my head around it. Trying to see if there is a way to drop the feed dog to do free embroidery... do you know?? any advice would be great thanx! tiff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have used mine a few times. They are relatively easy to use and by trial and error you can figure out how to operate one. Their feed-dogs do not drop, they require a cover plate, which is a special throatplate with a raised section to cover the feed. Hope that helps! If you need help threading or using it, feel free to send me an email at ceinwenjones02@gmail.com and I will do my best to help you. I may even be able to send you scanned pages from my instruction manual.

      Delete
  5. The complete manual is available for DL at https://tinyinc.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/singer-320k21.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always advise against re-timing these machines, changing the bobbin case solves the needle issue and does not negatively affect the stitch quality as does re-timing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What type of bobbin case would you change it out with to use a regular 15 needle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you can modify the standard case by cutting off the part that the needle hits - it looks like a job for a Dremel. I prefer to use the correct needles, which are still available online in a couple of sizes, but I have a spare bobbin case so I'll have a go at cutting it.

      Delete
  8. Cindy Kitt Productions in Australia (on the Internet) supplies replacement bobbin cases which allow standard domestic needles to be used. I bought a couple for my 319 and 320 and they work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm seriously in need of a singer 320k machine plate. I cant find it anywhere in cape town.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a Singer Stylist 533 and need to find the removeable platform. (Extension table)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some machines are called multi purpose machines. This machine is like a little work horse that you mainly will use as you are learning to sew and it is great to use for projects and crafts. It usually has some different stitches, forward and reverse, hand switch or pedal and other features. singer sewing machine for beginners

    ReplyDelete