Search This Blog

Sunday 24 November 2013

Saturday Morning

On Saturday morning I was recovering from a nasty cold and didn't feel particularly like going to work.  However, someone must have decided it was time I had a nice surprise because when I got to work there was a sewing machine table with a machine inside.  The pedal hanging out at the time told me it had to be an old Singer, so buzzing with excitement I lifted the lid and saw.....





This looked very interesting so I quickly set it up,


Yes, it is a 201.  I share Elisabeth @ mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com  passion for 201's.  They are fabulous machines although I have never seen the cast iron version before only Aluminium ones.  This one is very dusty but looks like it has hardly been used on the 60+ years it's been around.  The serial number dates it as approx. 1948.


Someone has stored this machine for a long time and it is covered on cobwebs, however there is very little rust, which is nice.


The face plate is stained but not too badly and is very like the one on my 206.

 
The chord must have been wrapped around it for years, when I unwound it, it was set in that shape.  The power chords will need replacing as they are only cloth covered and not in very good condition.  There is very little wear to the decals, which is fabulous!
 
 

201's have drop-in bobbins and this one has no bobbins with it.  However I have a heap of 201 bobbins that came with our Ali so that is fixed.  Now I just have to set about cleaning her, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment