Search This Blog

Saturday 8 March 2014

More Janomes!

I have had two Janomes to work on within the space of three days and apparently there is another machine of unknown make coming soon too.  The first, Janome XL-II was donated without a pedal but fortunately I had a spare.  I have to confess that I fell head over heels in love with this machine at first sight.  I love the colour scheme, the long (fold-up) flat-bed, the window for ease of bobbin changing and just about everything else about it.  I didn't realise until after I had started taking the machine apart that all the feet were hidden under the top.  Unfortunately it is also missing the standard foot and the shank that the feet clip onto.  Inside the machine is mind boggling!  There are lots and lots of parts all layered on top of eachother.  I didn't have my camera with me when I took the machine apart so sadly there are no photos of the insides at the moment.  Very sadly in the process of servicing the machine I discovered that the bobbin gear is badly cracked so I'm not sure I'll be able to sell it.  I did do some stitching with it today, it feels a little sticky which I'm not sure it's supposed to but it makes a reasonable stitch.

Front view

This machine has a lot of stitches, some I haven't even seen before!

Press the button once you get this handy chart...

...press the button twice and all the accessories appear!

The second Janome is very similar to the one I had timing issues with a few weeks ago.  Fortunately this one is absolutely fine in that department.  Interestingly when I received it, it had a jammed feed mechanism.  I first noticed that the reverse wasn't working and in trying to find out what was wrong with it discovered that it wasn't feeding at all.  I ended up pulling a similar machine out and looking at how everything should work and then looking at what wasn't in my current machine.  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me then either so no pictures.  Eventually the application of plenty of lubricant and force had the reverse lever springing backwards and forwards and the machine feeding nicely.  This machine also came with a flat bed which is handy, they often don't.  For $40- someone will have a nice machine!

Front view, all clean and shiny!

Back view, I remembered not to smudge the writing with metho!
I'll leave you with this lovely picture from the garden yesterday morning.  It's an Autumn Snowflake, a bit early but maybe it is saying we won't have any more hot weather!




2 comments:

  1. Do you still have the flat bed for Janome XL II? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also fell in love with a used New Home XL II and bought it but it only made straight stiches. I gave it away and found a fully functioning one that I used for several years. Now it has a cracked gear as well. Any ideas where I could get it repaired? I love the look and feel of the machine.

    ReplyDelete