Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 November 2014

A Day of Sleeves

I think I can honestly say that it took me as long to complete the sleeves and their eventual attachment to the bodice as it took to assemble the bodice.  The fact that I worked all afternoon and overslept probably did not help my perception.

With this dress, the capped sleeves are self lined, so you effectively cut four sleeves (prepares one for making a dog dress, I suppose), only two of them act as a lining to the other two.  The sleeves are eased and seamed together at the bottom.  You stitch the outer sleeve to the armhole in the dress, easing in fullness, then slipstitch the lining sleeve over the seam on the inside, if that makes any sense.  My sleeves were not all that cooperative but I am fairly pleased with the result.  Photographs of the procedure follow:

Completed sleeve, before attaching to bodice.

The sleeve lining pinned over the sleeve seam on the inside.

The bodice completed with sleeves attached.

Close up of yoke and overlap on left hand side of bodice.
Hopefully I will have the skirt attached by this time tomorrow, however I do not like my chances as I have been called into work early to cover for someone who is sick.

Today is November the 26th and it is apparently Tina Turner's birthday, my absolute favourite song of hers is 'Simply the Best'.


I also love the dress she is wearing in the picture above!

No comments:

Post a Comment