Search This Blog

Thursday 1 May 2014

A New Shirt

I am desperately in need of 3/4 length sleeve shirts.  I find they are the best at this time of year.  However I don't have a lot of time to actually make any but last week I finally made one.  I used Butterick 6085 which I have had for years and made in 3 sizes.  Size 8 normally fits me best but I wanted a looser shirt so that I could move in it, so I made a size 10.  The pattern has a range of views, mostly just added to the same pattern pieces so I was able to mix and match with ease.  I made the 3/4 length sleeves and put darts in the back but none in the front.  I really don't like the curved hems on shirts, I tuck my shirts into my trousers and wavy hems always escape.  So, I evened out the pattern edge as well.


Unfortunately my Dad borrowed my camera before I finished the shirt, so I have some pictures of the construction but not many.  Below is the pattern envelope.


I have lately been watching Peter and his skill in shirt making and as I normally have difficulty getting a nice collar I decided to be really careful like he is.  I even marked the turning points for the stitching of the collar pieces!


I have to say it turned out much better than usual, all the pieces were the same length when I'd finished too!


For sewing I used the Godfrey, a Singer 15 clone.  It is not working quite right, I think something is wrong in the bobbin area.


As I am a very shirt loving person I also wear vests on top when the weather gets colder.  I was given two of my Grandmother's vests last year and only got around to washing them today.  I think they are beautiful!



In other news, I got a new machine at work yesterday, so tomorrow I should be able to post pictures of that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment