Search This Blog

Saturday 3 May 2014

Another Janome

This morning I spent looking at the machine I got in on Thursday.  As the post title implies it is another Janome.  It's nothing all that fancy but comes with a flat-bed, hard cover, button-sewing foot, clear foot and rolled hemmer.  Considering they normally come minus accessories, flat-bed and cover I'm rather pleased!  The cover was filthy and looked like it had been sitting in a shed however much to my surprise the machine was fine.  There wasn't a speck of dust under the faceplate or top cover.



There is quite a bit of plastic in the machine, as can be seen below.


In order to get to the bobbin gears one has to take the free-arm cover off and then the gear cover.  I couldn't get the gear cover screws off and ended up cautiously prising one corner up just enough to check the gears weren't cracked and then bending it back down again.  In the image below the red circles are where the screws need to be removed to access the gears.


Once cleaned the machine looked very nice from both front and back.




(Did I mention it is dark where I work??!)

The stitch selection knobs are below.  I haven't actually sewn with the machine yet as I had other jobs to do but I hope to on Wednesday.



In other news, I ended up using the Janome XL-II for a project at work the other day.  I had to adjust the contacts in the pedal to get better speed control but once I did that she was a joy to use.  It is such a pity about her cracked gears, I really love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment